Sr. Viagulamma was the headmistress in Shivajinagar St. Mary’s Church School. Fr. Noronha was the parish priest of the Basilica. Fr. John Frank who was the parish priest of St. James Church, Mariannapalya used to go to Basilica to meet Fr. Noronha. This is how Fr. John Frank came in contact with the sisters of St. Anne, and extended an invitation to work in his parish.
At the time, there was only a primary school (1st-4th Std) with a single teacher by name Mr. Chowrappa. Since the presbytery was under construction, Fr. John Frank was staying in a small Nazareth house opposite to the present St. James Church. When the presbytery was completed Fr. John Frank, shifted to his new house and invited the Sisters of St. Anne, Bangalore on 20th June, 1948 and accommodated them in the Nazareth house. The first batch of sisters were: 1. Sr. Lourdu (Superior); 2. Sr. Regina (Head Mistress); 3. Sr. Immaculate (Teacher) and 4. Sr. Stanislaus (Teacher). A warm and solemn reception was accorded to our sisters after the Sunday morning mass. They were welcomed by the headman of the village, the parishioners and by Fr. John Frank. From 1948 to 1959 sisters stayed in the old house, which was the home for many reptiles and insects. But God kept them all happy in his service.
After Fr. John Frank, it was Fr. Albert Bergo who took over as the parish priest. He wanted to start 5th Standard. So Sr. Augustine came as the Headmistress (1953-1954). By now Sr. Maria Goretti a newly professed sister who had completed her TCH in Kannada was transferred to Mariannapalya along with Sr. Benedicta. These two sisters replaced Sr. Augustine and Sr. Annunciata. It was Sr. Henrita who taught in the 3rd and 4th Std. Following year 6th Std was started. Sr. Maria Goretti was the first Kannada teacher and Head Mistress of the Middle School 5th and 6th Std. Sr. Benedict was teaching in 3rd and 4th standard in the Parish school and also was in charge of the sacristy.
Sr. Benedict and Sr. Maria Goretti were regular in visiting various villages such as: Nagavara, Naganahaalli, Mestripalya, Veerannapalya, Yalahanka, Chickballapur and Doddaballapur. Our sisters were teaching catechism and doing sacristy work in St. Anne’s Church and other churches. Every Sunday after the mass, catechism was taught in the community hall till evening. Lunch packets were taken as they go for mass and returned only in the evening from Doddaballapur. Lot of hard work and hardships have gone into in proclaiming the gospel both by Sr. Maria Goretti and Sr. Benedicta. The motto of love and service was fully realised in their lives. Sr. Benedicta also taught tailoring to the girls. She was expert in stitching vestments, and dress for dance and drama, especially Bharatanatyam dress. Many institutions have profited from her service.
Rev. Fr. Xavier Bartholome came in the place of Fr. Albert Borji. He was a holy and a spiritual man, a man of prayer. He was very generous and yet a disciplinarian. He was loved and revered by all the parishioners. Fr. Bartholome was sad to see the sisters staying in such a poor small hut for more than 10 years. Therefore, the foundation stone was blessed and laid on 26th July 1956 by the then vicar General Msgr. Texeira. The building was also financed both by Bp. Thomas Pothacamury and the Good Shepherd sisters.
In 1959, nine candidates were trained in Mariannapalya. Later again in 1985, since there were many aspirants; they were grouped into two and one group of 13 aspirants were sent to Mariannapalya and another to Mysore. Sr. Shobhana was their directress. Since she was unable to manage both, the aspirants and the business of the school, the aspirants were later sent to Mysore.
After our coming from the Good Shepherd campus, all the old sisters namely, Srs. Melani, Julianamma, Catherinamma, Juanamma, Sebastian, Bernard and Constance were sent to Mariannapalya as there was sufficient place here. Later in 1974-1976, renovation of the convent building was done. In the year 1992, the convent building was renovated again as the building was leaking. A nursery school building was also constructed in the same year within the convent campus. Once again in 2004 it was renovated and two more rooms were added. Sr. Annunciatta was working in the church as a sacristian till her death (2nd March 2005). She was fondly called ‘Devasthanamma.’ She was here for 37 years! Sr. Maria Goretti again came on transfer to Mariannapalya. In remembrance of her silver Jubilee, her old students joined together and constructed freely the grotto of our Lady near the front gate. Fr. Bartholome and Sr. Maria Goretti were a great influence on many students. On account of this influence many became priests and nuns. Presently, besides running a nursery school, we continue serve the parish schools.
St. Anne's Convent
H. A. Farm P. O
Bengaluru-560024 Ph.no. – 080- 22330589