There was a great famine raging the then state of Mysore continuously for 3 years from 1876 to 1879, and as a matter of fact, both people and animals were dying in hundreds. Poverty was rampant and people were living on roots and leaves. It was at that time the MEP missionaries founded some villages with surviving orphans. Silvepura was one of those villages founded by Rev. Fr. Bonnetrain (MEP). Government came to their rescue by donating land and building materials. These orphans were looked after by successive missionaries like Fr. Philip Sizon, V.M. Ghorina, Marshal D’souza to mention a few. The General opinion about the village was such that importance was not given to vital factor education. Even after hundred years the village had not made much progress. There was hardly a graduate from this village. No school was started for educating those orphans till 1960.
At the invitation of late Fr. Alphonse Noronha, the then parish priest of Silvepura and with the permission of Archbishop Thomas Pothacamury, we took up this project of starting a school in this village. Hence a small beginning was made in the field of education in 1960-61 independently after separating from Good Shepherds. Since there was no building for a convent in Silvepura, one bunglow belonging to Mr. Antony Domingo, a devotee of St. Antony was available at Thrabanahalli in the year 1961. Sisters used to go walking 3 kms from Tharabanahalli to Silvepura and teach the children in the shed at Silvepura. It was Sr. Augustine SAB who started it as a Balawadi in June 1961. Later the Parish priest put up a hall for the school purpose. This was our first school in a village after our independence from the Good Shepherd convent.
In the beginning due to lack of accommodation, only from Std. 1 to 4 was conducted in Silvepura and from Std. 5 to 7 were conducted in Tharabanahalli. Later on a building was constructed by the parish priest and all the sections were shifted to Silvepura. The said school is known as the Sacred Heart School which is now a full pledged High School and has a PU college.
It was when late Bishop Michelappa of Mysore, was the Parish Priest at Silvepura, three of our sisters namely, Srs. Ursula, Mechtilda, and Vincent along with Sr. Magdalene as superior shifted their residence to Silvepura. In the beginning, our sisters were living in a small room which was part of the school. Late Fr. Maria Susai Nelapathi who was the parish priest of Silvepura, was kind enough to give us a portion of the church land for the construction of the convent building which was inaugurated on 27th June 1972. In 1988, compound wall put in front demarking the convent area. However, the convent building lacked proper facilities. So there was an urgent need of putting up a new convent building with adequate requirements. Thus the new convent building was blessed on 23.05.1992, by Rt. Rev. Archbishop Alphonsus Mathias. The activities of the community, school and church are carried out with dedication by our sisters. Special care is taken to teach Catechism in the church as well as in the parish. The said School at Silvepura known as Sacred Heart School is now a full fledged High School.
St. Anne's Convent Silvepura P. O Bengaluru-560090 Ph.no. – 080-28466378